94% Of Irish People Reveal They Have A Best Friend
‘A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out,’ Walter Winchell
To celebrate Friendship Day, we surveyed the Irish population to find out all about their BFFs. 94% of those surveyed said they have a best friend with 86% revealing that friends are more important to them now than they were in school/college.
When asked about the importance of staying in touch with friends they had in their early school years, 53% said they try to stay in touch with them regularly, 33% said they contact them now and again, while 14% revealed they no longer see or speak to these friends.
When it comes to the traits we want in our friendships, supportive took top spot at 67%, followed by funny (65%), positive (57%), kind (54%) and trustworthy (51%). Participants also said they like their friends to be caring (46%), reliable (43%), authentic (27%), generous (27%), inspiring (14%), and humble (10%).
Social media has had a massive impact on our relationships and participants are split on whether it has had a positive (50%) or negative (50%) effect. On the positive side, participants revealed it has allowed them to re-connect with friends they otherwise would have lost touch with and stay in touch with friends who live in different counties/countries. On the negative side, participants felt social media creates feelings of resentment and jealousy towards friends who ‘regularly post snaps of their amazing families, lives, holidays, etc.’.
Our research also asked participants to explain what a best friend mean to them, here are the top responses:
- Someone who is fun and supportive.
- Someone who you can tell anything to and they support you.
- Someone who is there for you in both the good times and the not so good times.
- Someone who there for you when you need them the most, especially in hard times.
- Someone who is loyal, supportive and knows how to cheer you up when you’re down.
- Someone who supports me at my worst and laughs with me at my best.
- Someone you can call when you need them and being that person for someone else.
Do you have a friend that deserves a special treat? Why not gift them a One4all Friendship Gift Card! With over 8,500 retailers to spend in, from food to fashion, travel to entertainment, it’s a gift that’s sure to put a smile on their face! Buy here now.